If you like rum cake, then you’ll want to pin this mini rum cake recipe for later. I’m in my kitchen, testing a few recipes for an upcoming shower and have declared this recipe party worthy. The cakes are loaded with flavor and have just enough sweetness to satisfy. For more recipe ideas try my Mini Gingerbread Cake Recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.
Mini rum cakes are basically the size of cupcakes but look like miniature bundt cakes. Thanks to the mini 12 count bundt pan I used, these turned out pretty cute and are portion controlled (sort of). I think three cakes, sounds like a good serving size. Don’t you agree?
Mini Rum Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Recipe yields about 2-1/2 dozen mini cakes or cupcakes.
- Prepare mini bundt cake pan or cupcake pan using baking spray with flour.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and extracts. Beat with a hand mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time to butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fill pan 3/4 full with batter and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While cakes are baking prepare rum sauce. See recipe below.
- Let cakes cool a bit before trying to remove from the pan. Arrange cakes on a wire rack placed on top of a sheet pan. Drizzle rum sauce over mini cakes. For easy clean up, I line the pan with parchment paper.
Rum Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup spiced rum or 2 tablespoons rum extract
Stir together sugar and water in sauce pan bringing to a boil. Remove from heat and add rum. Let cool before drizzling over mini rum cakes.
The original rum cake recipe is for a regular bundt cake but I adapted it for mini cakes. It’s the recipe I grew up with, and helped my mom make for special occasions year round.
Regular Bundt Pan
Follow basic instructions above except…pour batter into a regular size prepared bundt pan and bake for about 60 minutes.
Once the cake has baked, remove from oven. Immediately pour the rum sauce over the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
Need to update your baking supplies? I have a few suggestions of items that work for me.
Supply List For Easy Baking
Rum cake is a classic dessert that you will want to make over and over. Add mixed berries and whipped cream or ice cream on the side and your guests will be impressed. It’s an easy dessert to transport to picnics and family get-togethers too!
Thank you so much for stopping by. Any questions or comments about the recipe are always welcome.
©2018 Mini Rum Cake Recipe first appeared on Thistle Key Lane™
Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest where the boards are updated daily!