This Mini Gingerbread Cake Recipe makes perfect little treats for the holidays or enjoy them all the way through the winter months. Can you imagine anything more heart warming than the enticing aroma of gingerbread baking on a chilly day? Well, wonder no more my friend!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.
I love these mini gingerbread cakes for their moist and delicious spicy flavor. As for the recipe, it’s a small batch making 12 mini bundt cakes or 12 cupcakes at a time. So convenient for baking a quick batch when you’re in a hurry.
The recipe can also be doubled, if you’re baking for a party and cakes can easily be stored in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Mini Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Prepare a mini bundt cake pan with cooking spray or use a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together on medium speed with a hand mixer.
- Mix in one at a time – egg, sour cream, molasses and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture a third at a time. Batter will be thick and creamy.
- Fill each of the greased mini bundt cake sections 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes then remove cakes to a wire cooling rack.
- Dust with powder sugar and top with vanilla sour cream sauce (see below).
- Store in an air tight container or large zip plastic bag.
Recipe tip: For easy clean up I place a piece of parchment paper under the wire cooling rack before dusting with powdered sugar.
Vanilla Sour Cream Sauce
Combine 1 cup of sour cream, with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. When ready to serve, top each Mini Gingerbread Cake with a dollop of Vanilla Sour Cream Sauce.
Mini gingerbread bundt cakes are so festive and can be served so many ways, including a topping of Eggnog Sauce. For the recipe click on Eggnog Sauce Recipe.
Here’s a quick list of toppings to keep in mind.
- Eggnog Sauce
- Vanilla Sour Cream Sauce
- Mixed berries
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped Cream
Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest where the boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration you are going to love!
I hope you will add this easy recipe to your holiday menu.