Finding a delicious Banana Nut Muffin Recipe with gluten-free option and also dairy free that would please the family, wasn’t easy. I finally modified a simple recipe of my moms that meets all our requirements.
Surprisingly, after making this banana nut muffin recipe, I couldn’t tell they were made with gluten-free flour. I served them last weekend at a family get together and I’ll be making them again very soon. Always a relief when a new recipe is a big hit.
Banana Nut Muffin Recipe (Gluten-Free Option)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free baking flour with xanthan gum
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp hot water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin pan or use muffin liners. Recipe makes 12 to 18 muffins.
- Combine sugar, applesauce and vegetable oil
- Add eggs and mashed bananas, mix well
- Stir in flour, nutmeg and cinnamon
- In a separate small bowl dissolve baking soda in hot water, then add to banana mixture
- Add vanilla extract and chopped walnuts
- For over the top muffins fill muffin cups 3/4 full makes about 12 muffins, for regular size muffins fill muffin cups 1/2 full
- Optional – top with additional chopped walnuts
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes
For gluten-free option choose a good quality gluten-free baking flour with xanthan gum built in.
Be sure to select unsweetened applesauce.
This is a great recipe for ripe bananas and the ones with dark spots will be sweeter.
Mash bananas in a bowl with a fork or in a zip lock bag by hand.
Remove muffins promptly from muffin pan to prevent steam from making bottoms soggy.
Serve muffins with butter, for those who are not concerned with dairy limitations.
Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest. The boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration that you can use right now!
©2019 Banana Nut Muffin Recipe (Gluten-Free Option) post first appeared on Thistle Key Lane™