How To Create A Cozy Winter Bedroom

Today I’m sharing loads of inspiration with the Cozy Winter Homes Blog Hop, hosted by Amber from Follow The Yellow Brick Home. If you are joining me from Kristin at White Arrows Home welcome. Loved her beautiful ski inspired mantel. Now relax and see how to create a cozy winter bedroom, that you’ll never want to leave.

I have to admit that I sometimes I look for excuses to go to bed early during the long winter months. Of course, there’s nothing better than getting back in bed on cold mornings with a second cup of coffee to catch up on a good read. Here are a few tips on how I created a cozy bedroom that might help you chase away those winter blues.

Declutter The Room

Decluttering the bedroom is at the top of my list. Why? I find it difficult to relax when there are baskets of laundry staring at me that need to be folded and put away.

Pink hydrangea and lilacs on a tray.

Part of the decluttering process is putting things back where they belong and we all know how stuff migrates. Grab a basket and load it with all the things that need to find their correct home.

While your decluttering think about purging those drawers. Donate useful items including clothes and shoes that are still in good shape.

Once those horizontal spaces are clutter free reward yourself with beautiful flowers.

Add Cozy Layers

We love to sleep in a super cold room which makes adding layers of quilts of all types even more fun.

Breakfast tray on bed with a quilt.

We still use quilts that my grandmother made from flour sack material. I don’t want to think about how old this one is, but it’s still soft and a beautiful mix with our new quilts.

Freshen Up Bedding

January is the month for white sales and a good opportunity to replace pillows and worn bedding. If you have pillows that can be laundered, then make it habit of washing them twice a year; once in January and again in June.

White and navy bed with side table and lamp.

On dark gray days, I’m so glad that I have white bedding to brighten the room. White goes with everything including the cozy ticking headboard slipcover I made last year. For detailed instructions see Headboard Slipcover.

Natural Light

We may not have sunshine everyday, but when we do, the blinds are open to allow the sun to warm up the space.

French arm chair draped with a blanket.

By the way, I not sure I mentioned before that we have a blue ceiling in the master bedroom. I painted it about ten years ago and have loved it ever since. There’s something about blue ceilings that can make a room more cheerful.

Armoire and a French style chair.

Personal Touches

Adding a display of photos and special keepsakes is an easy way to cozy up a space. The shadow box holds a coral necklace that once belonged to my grandmother and brings back happy memories of her.

Small table with frames and a lamp.

Trays

Trays are used more than any other accessory in my home. In addition to decorating, I also use them for organizing. When I’m working on a post or lounging, they’re perfect for holding the TV remote, note pads, pencils, magazines, books and most importantly snacks.

Remember when I mentioned how things migrate to the bedroom? Use a tray to gather up all those dishes needing to go back to the kitchen. That way you’ll continue to enjoy your cozy winter bedroom you created.

Thanks so much for stopping by for some cozy winter inspiration. Don’t forget to continue the blog hop by visiting Terrie at  Decorate and More With Tip for her rustic winter decor or start at the beginning and work your way through the links below.

Cheers!

Follow The Yellow Brick Home |  A Stroll Thru Life | Our Southern Home| Decor To Adore

Art and Sand |My Thrift Store Addiction | The Red Painted Cottage | Rosemary and Thyme

Bluesky at Home | Belle Bleu Interiors | Virginia Sweet Pea | County Road 407

Lora Bloomquist |  White Arrows Home | Thistle Key Lane | Decorate and More with Tip

©2019 How To Create A Cozy Winter Bedroom post first appeared on Thistle Key Lane™

37 thoughts on “How To Create A Cozy Winter Bedroom

1. Cecilia says:

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your quilt! Nothing says cozy like comfy bedding–lovely! Happy to be joining you on the hop! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction!

2. artandsand says:

All your bedroom touches are lovely, but your grandmother’s quilt is the winner in my eye. It’s wonderful that you have something soft and snuggly that is also a special treasure.

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Carol. The quilt is definitely my favorite as well. My grandmother would be so happy knowing it is lovingly used.

3. Janet Collazo says:

Hello Michelle,

I am so in love with your gorgeous bedroom. It is definitely cozy and warm! There are so many details that stand out to me. The beautiful bedding, fresh flowers, personal touches, the natural light that brightens the room, and that darling tray. You have created a room that I would spend hours in. Great use of patterns and textures.

You did a great job in this space!

It was fun joining you on this blog hop today friend.

Janet
    Rosemary & Thyme

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you so much Janet. Right now it’s my favorite room in the house. So happy to be on the blog hop with you as well. Hugs!

4. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says:

This is such a pretty and cozy room! I love that beautiful quilt and gorgeous floral lamp. It has been so much fun being on this hop with you!!!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you Shannon, you’re so sweet. The floral lamp is another family heirloom from my grandmother. So happy to be on the blog hop with you too!

5. The Red Painted Cottage says:

Your grandmother’s quilt would make any room cozy for the winter months! It’s really beautiful. I have a very old one that was made for when I was born, so it’s crib size, but I don’t use it because it literally has bare threads in places so it’s on a ladder in our guest room.

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you Carol. After all the work that went into making quilts they should be out and enjoyed. So smart to have yours on display.

6. amberlyonferguson2017 says:

These are some great tips for creating a cozy bedroom! I totally agree about the laundry, I can’t relax until the bedroom is clean! I love your soft, serene colors and that beautiful quilt. The flowers are such a pretty touch for adding some happiness for winter, and it was nice to see that glorious sunshine in your photos!

Thank you so much for joining our hop! Stay cozy sweet friend!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank goodness for that sunshine so I could capture the light and finish the post! Although even on gray days this is still a happy room. Thank you so much for inviting me to join the blog hop Amber! Stay warm and cozy. Hugs!

7. Kristin says:

I love these tips and you summed up my feelings toward my bedroom in winter exactly!! I love layers! Your blue ceiling is such a great idea! Love it!! All so beautiful!!

8. Christy Little says:

I truly don’t know where to begin! So much to love in your bedroom. I adore that navy quilt, but to have your grandmother’s quilts is a treasure! I totally need to work on our bedroom clutter. It’s becoming an issue!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you for your sweet comments Christy. I have a sentimental soul and love having those treasures where I can enjoy them.