Today I’m sharing how to make an advent calendar. I know you’re thinking it’s too early but you’ll want to gather your supplies to have your calendar ready to go December 1. This whimsical advent calendar will help your family count down, with a special holiday activity each day. The best part is that you can tailor the activities to fit your family’s busy schedule.
This merry little calendar comes together quickly using craft supplies that you may already have on hand. You’ll also want to view my DIY Chalkboard Advent Calendar With Activities to decide which one you like best.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.
How To Make An Advent Calendar
Here’s a list of supplies I used for the project with shopping link suggestions.
- chalkboard (similar to mine)
- red/white cotton string
- brown tags
- mini clothespins
- chalk paint marker
- holiday stickers
- pen or pencil
- festive trinkets
- Start by wrapping red and white string tightly around a chalkboard or empty frame vertically or horizontally.
- Using a chalk paint marker number tags 1 through 24 or 25.
- On the back of each tag write the activity of the day and add string or embroidery thread to each tag.
- Add stickers to the tags on the front or back for festive color.
- Using mini clothespins hang tags to string in a random order spacing as you like.
- Last step is adding fun trinkets, bows or ribbon for a touch of whimsy.
I love decorating this little chalkboard for holidays for two reasons. First of all decorations and garlands really pop with the dark background of the chalkboard. Second, the size is perfect for this busy passthrough area next to the kitchen and eating areas so it gets a lot of views.
This is a great project for the kids to help with especially finding trinkets to tie on the calendar. If I had Lego characters, matchbox cars or mini action figures, you bet they would have found their way on there. Instead I found some mini Santas, bottle brush trees, jingle bells and a polar bear. Random I know!
When creating a list of activities think of things that will pull the family together and have fun. We all know how quickly the holidays rush by to grab those opportunities to make merry with your loved ones. Below is a list of activities from last year with a few updates.
- Make hot cocoa from scratch
- Go shopping and people watch
- Build a snowman
- Watch a classic Christmas movie
- Tacky Christmas sweater day
- Drink eggnog
- Take a long walk in the park
- Make Christmas Cookies
- Pizza night
- Drive around looking at Christmas lights
- Read ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas
- Watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas
- Shop for stocking stuffers
- Make Chex mix
- Read A Christmas Carol
- Make a popcorn garland
- Roast marshmallows
- Make a charitable donation
- Dinner out
- Hang Christmas Stockings
- Go sledding
- Open one gift early
- Make handmade Christmas ornaments
- Go ice-skating
- Watch a Christmas parade
- Work on a big jigsaw puzzle
Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest, where the boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration that you can use right now!
©2019 How To Make An Advent Calendar post first appeared on Thistle Key Lane™.