Today I’m sharing how to update a basket with raffia tassels. This is an easy way to jazz up a basket if you wanting to add a bit of interest with color or coastal decor.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.
How To Update A Basket With Raffia Tassels
Raffia tassels are pretty easy to make and a cute way to spruce up a basket, a pillow or even a tote bag. Be sure to check out my post How To Make Raffia Tassels to see my tutorial of tassels with wood beads.
Starting out I wasn’t sure how many tassels I was going to make, but ended up with 16. Four each of navy, green, turquoise and light blue. The darker green below will have to wait for another project.
Supplies To Make Raffia Tassels
- raffia in various colors
- hemp string
- large needle
- Use 4 or 5 strands of raffia to make each tassel. Wrap raffia around a piece of card board or the palm of your hand to create a loop. Tie the top of the loop with a piece of hemp string that is about 8 to 10 inches long.
- Next wrap another hemp string around the raffia about an inch or so from the top, then tie it off with a double knot.
- Cut the loops of raffia at the bottom of the tassel.
- Trim the raffia at the bottom so all the pieces will be the same length.
- Attach your raffia tassel to the outside of a basket by threading the hemp string one at a time through the basket. You may need to use a large upholstery or embroidery needle depending on the type of basket you have. Insert the needle and pull the string through the basket.
- Tie the hemp strings in a knot and trim the ends, or tie the strings in a bow for easy removal later.
I decided I may want to change up this basket or use the tassels on something else, so that why I just tied the tassel strings in a bow on the inside.
I’m really enjoying this summery look of the ficus tree sitting in the basket on the dining table. Now it looks more like a centerpiece with a sassy attitude. I’m also loving the coastal vibe it’s giving the room.
As soon as I finished tying the last tassel I was already thinking of other places to use the basket. Who knows, you may be seeing this basket in the bathroom holding rolled up towels.
How To Decorate With Raffia Tassels
Looking for more ways to use raffia tassels?
- hang around a bottle
- decorate a lamp
- hang from a cabinet knob or door knob
- add to a bead garland
- decorate a pillow or tote bag
- create garland
Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest, where the boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration you can use right now!
Thank you so much for visiting today! I hope you’ll enjoy this simple raffia craft to update your baskets this summer.
©2023 How To Update A Basket With Raffia Tassels post first appeared on Thistle Key Lane.