How can anyone who loves shortbread ever get tired of these simple cookies, especially when there are a bazillion variations to make? If you are looking for an excuse to make shortbread cookies, how about Valentine’s Day. Dipped Shortbread Cookies are sure to melt anyone’s heart.
- ¾ lbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low-speed until the dough starts to come together.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and form into two flat disks. Wrap disks in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick on a surface lightly dusted with flour and cut with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Makes about 4 dozen
Adapted from Ina Garten’s Shortbread Recipe.
Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- 4 oz. White chocolate baking bar (I used Ghirardelli)
- Break up white chocolate squares into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Follow the manufacture’s melting directions.
- Dip edge of cookie in melted chocolate then place on parchment paper. Add sprinkles if desired.
- Chill for 20-30 minutes to set white chocolate.
Looking for more ways to sweeten your Valentine’s Day? Try Champagne and Champagne gummy bears. Such a cute idea! The source along with some of my practical everyday baking supplies can be found at the bottom of the post.
You don’t really have to look for an excuse to make shortbread cookies. I make them all the time!
Sources: (Contains affiliate links)
- Champagne Bears
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring spoons
- KitchenAid Mixer
- Rolling pin
- Mixing bowls
- Composite Cutting Board
- Full sheet baking pan
©2018 Shortbread Cookie Recipe was first published on Thistle Key Lane™