Potato leek soup is one of my favorite recipes. It’s easy to make and has a short list of ingredients. Perfect! In addition to sharing a great recipe, I also have three ways to serve potato leek soup with optional toppers. Bring on the tasty hot soup.
Potato Leek Soup
- 2 Tb vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2-3 leeks – about 2 1/2 cups sliced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 pound Russet potatoes peeled and sliced
- sprig of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
Optional toppers or garnish:
- Andouille sausage
- Jalapeno pepper slices
- Shredded cheese
- Flat leaf parsley
- Using a small stock pot or Dutch oven heat vegetable oil on medium, adding garlic, onions and leeks.
- Cook until soft and slightly translucent.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 30 min or until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the potatoes, leeks and onions until smooth. Serve hot.(Note: A food processor or blender can also be used.)
Top with your favorite grated cheese, then garnish with chopped chives or parsley. Pictured in the photo below is a blend of Monterey Jack, cheddar, asadero and queso quesadilla cheese with sprigs of garlic chives and flat leaf parsley.
It’s hard to beat toasted ciabatta bread, crispy bacon and fresh cracked pepper.
In the mood for spicy hot? Andouille sausage makes a bold statement and a great combination with potatoes and leeks.
This is one of those no fail recipes that the family will love. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by!
Source List: (Contains affiliate links)
- Immersion Hand Blender – Williams Sonoma
- Soup Bowls – Sur la table
- White Rimmed Soup Bowls – Pottery Barn
- Napkins – clearance at Pottery Barn
Sharing with Wow Us Wednesdays link party
©2017 Potato Leek Soup was first published on Thistle Key Lane™