Ideas for decorating with plants under a cloche.

Ideas For Decorating With Plants

Today I have a variety of ideas for decorating with plants that don’t take up a lot of space. In addition, I’m so happy to be part of the Summer Celebration Blog Hop hosted by my friend Amber from Follow The Yellow Brick Home.

Vintage vignette with a fern.

If you stopping by from The Tattered Pew, welcome. Kelly and I both have a love for plants and vintage containers.  Whether you’re in the middle of summer where you live, or at the end of it, there’s lots of inspiration to soak up from these bloggers.

Ideas for decorating with plants.

Ideas For Decorating With Plants

Do you enjoy decorating with plants? I certainly do. Plants are part of the everyday summer decor in our home, and I can’t imagine living without their happy green foliage.

Most of my plants need to be repotted since they have grown so much this summer. You see, I love my plants, but they have to pass a probation period before they get repotted. Basically that just means they have to survive more than a year.

Fern ready to be repotted.

This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. I may make a slight commission however that doesn’t affect the price you pay.

Many of them have well passed that probation period and are very crowded in their plastic containers.  After looking around for planter inspiration, I finally decided on rustic clay pots with an aged look. Yay, no more plastic containers that I have to hide in buckets or baskets.

Vintage clay pots with greenery.

My plants fall into two categories. Plants that I like to cozy into vignettes and the larger plants that have enough character to make a statement on their own. No matter what kind of space you have I’m betting there’s room for a plant or two.

Ideas for decorating with plants on shelves.

Vignettes With Plants And Plants With Character

I love the dramatic look of a plant under a cloche on a desk or table.  This one, is currently residing on the secretary desk which was recently turned into a  liquor cabinet. (To see the post click on Ideas For Liquor Cabinets.)

Ideas for decorating with plants on a secretary desk.

Vintage desk with a cloche and plant.

This is what I mean when I say I have plants with character that can stand alone and make a statement. The Norfolk Pine and the fiddle leaf figs both fit in this category, as well as my faithful peace lily.

Ideas for decorating with plants in zinc bucket.

I have high hopes for the fiddle leaf fig since it is the newest member of our plant family. For now it’s going to hang out in a seagrass belly basket, until I have a chance to repot it.

Ideas for decorating with plants in the entryway.

Don’t forget plants love steamy bathrooms too.  The pony tail plant has been photographed many times in its pretty blue Fiesta Ware bowl.

Ideas for decorating with plants in the bathroom.

The olive bucket was supposed to be temporary container for the peace lily, but as you can see three years later they still make a winning team.

Peace lily plant in an olive bucket.

More Ideas For Decorating With Plants

If you don’t have a plant stand just make one with a stack of books and add a plant for the crowning touch.

These are some ideas for decorating with plants that work for me. See how many more you can come up with.

• Mantel or shelves
    • Crown a stack of books
    • Coffee table tray
    • Table centerpiece
    • Kitchen counter
    • Desk or secretary
    • Entryway
    • Bathroom ledge
    • Use buckets, wooden  or metal boxes for containers

Ideas for decorating with plants that make a statement.

Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest, where the boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration that you can use right now!

For plants you don’t have to water see my post on houseplant watercolors just for fun.

Ideas for decorating with plants.

Thanks for joining me today for my Summer Celebration  of decorating with plants. Now it’s time to continue the blog hop with Kristin from White Arrows Home. While you’re there take a look at her new logo and blog design.

Cheers!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

38 thoughts on “Ideas For Decorating With Plants

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you Cecilia, my plants have been really happy this year. Some seem to do better when I ignore them. LOL

1. CoCo says:

Your plants all look so lush and healthy Michelle! I love all the different kinds of containers you chose for them as well. Most of the plants on our front porch are desperately hanging on until they can be replanted in the garden beds. They’ll be so happy to finally be able to spread out 🙂 Happy summer and big hugs, CoCo

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks CoCo! I think I’ve been lucky with my plants and so far they are thriving this year. On the other hand our outdoor patio plants need to be replanted like yours. The summer heat is really hard on them. Hope you’re enjoying your summer. Hugs!

2. Chloe Crabtree says:

Great ideas for adding green plants to your home! My goal is to have one green plant in each room, but I must say, you appear to have a better green thumb than I! I have to admit, I have come to rely on some high quality fakes!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Hi Chloe, I think one green plant in each room is a great goal, but I won’t tell if you have rely on a fake plant or two. 😉

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Katie, I’ve wanted to use the olive bucket for other things, but don’t have the heart to take the lily out. Crazy right?!

3. Cindy Richter says:

I’m very jealous of your green thumb. Each plant looks so healthy and beautiful. My only real plant, the Fiddle, has large black spots on it so I’m getting worried. Thank you for sharing your plants. Each space in your home is just lovely.

4. Debra@CommonGround says:

Hi Michelle, you have some gorgeous plants, your ferns are so pretty and healthy, you must have great light. My thumb isn’t quite so green. Beautiful photos too, love the pic of the cloche on that wonderful secretary cabinet!

• Michelle Meyer says:

We have a ton of light on the southern side of the house, and the plants love hanging out there. Thanks so much for your sweet comments Debra!

5. calypsointhecountry says:

Your plants are beautiful and I love your pretty containers! That olive bucket is just perfect. Plants really do warm up a home…if only I had a green thumb! Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Shelley

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Shelley, it’s not always easy keeping everything alive but the plants do add so much to our living spaces. Have a great week!

6. Amber Ferguson says:

Michelle your plants are stunning and your whole house looks so pretty with the touches of green! I am loving those clay pots too.You have inspired me to change out the summer vignette under my large cloche for a simple plant in a pretty pot. I love each of the containers you have chosen. Everything looks wonderful!

Thank you so much for joining the Summer Celebration!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you Amber, I still have a few plants to repot and have more of the aged clay pots on order. I love their vintage look. Thanks so much for organizing our Summer Celebration!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Buckets do make great containers for plants. I’m always looking for the old metal sand buckets but they are so hard to find.

7. Lora Bloomquist says:

Love all your plant ideas, Michelle! In the summer I bring all my plants outdoors, because I don’t want to have to deal with them inside. Once the cooler weather hits, I enjoy bringing them in again. I can only focus on watering inside or outside, not both at once;)

• Michelle Meyer says:

That is such a great idea Lora. If I had a covered porch I’m might do that too. Hope you’re enjoying your summer! 🙂

8. Julie Briones says:

Such a lovely plant post, Michelle. So many pretty containers and pots to choose from. I especially like your seagrass basket!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Julie, the seagrass basket is a fun addition. I sure hope the fig tree will like living here! 😀

9. Crissy @ First Day of Home says:

Oh, such lovely photos and vignettes, Michelle! Thanks for all the creative inspiration. I love that you have a plant probation! Ha! I feel the same way about my plants. Your post has given me some motivation to start moving some of mine around…

• Michelle Meyer says:

Yes, the fiddle leaf fig has not had time to pass its probation period, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed it will survive. Have a great weekend my friend!

10. thetatteredpew says:

Michelle your ideas are always so inspiring! I love all of your plants especially that fiddle in the basket. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Kelly, if the fig tree doesn’t make it, at least I’ll still have the cute basket LOL. Happy Summer!

11. Paula says:

Plants really bring a room to life. I’m guilty of being a “no plants in the house” person. I used to have quite a few but I got tired of watering them and threw them all in the compost pile. I think I need to slowly reintroduce a few back into my home.