Holiday Basket Door Decoration

My holiday basket door decoration is ready to kick off the new season, and just in time too. Today I’m joining Amber of Follow The Yellow Brick Home, who is hosting a Holiday Door Decor Blog Hop.

This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.

If you are coming from Paula’s blog,  Virginia Sweet Pea, thank you for stopping by and welcome to Thistle Key Lane. Love that beautiful round up of wreaths she shared! I’m very excited to be sharing my holiday door decor too on the blog hop with 19 blogging friends.

Sometimes small spaces are the most challenging to decorate, because we want to make the area look interesting without going overboard. With limited space on our porch, I’m concentrating mostly on the front door in order to make a big statement. I think you’ll agree there’s a fine line between just enough and too much.

Holiday Basket Door Decoration

Have you ever decorated with a basket on your front door? This fall was the first time for me. To view the post, click on Willow Basket Door Arrangement For Early Fall.

The willow basket has a simple handle on the back that easily hangs over a hook. Fill it with winter greenery or your favorite faux flowers.

To create an arrangement like mine, start with the largest branches of greenery first, then add smaller ones in groups. I’m using a mixture of fresh cedar and faux pine greenery. For height and extra texture, a few curly willow branches look really pretty with the greenery.

The final touch to the basket arrangement is a pretty bow using a red plaid wire ribbon. One of the faux pine wire picks holds the bow in place.

Coordinating Porch Decor

To keep the front door as the focal point and not have the porch look too crowded, only a few coordinating decorations flank each side. More red plaid ribbon ties in the lantern and yellow poinsettias coordinate with the plaid door mat.

This is my idea of keeping it our small porch decorating simple, so that the door basket is the focal point.

Lantern and rocking horse Christmas porch decor.

Did you notice the wooden rocking horse cut-out? It may look familiar, because it was part of the Christmas wreath I made last year. To see the post click on Christmas Front Door Decor.

Lanter decorated with rocking horse cut-out and

Be sure to follow Thistle Key Lane on Pinterest, where the boards are up to date with seasonal inspiration that you can use right now!

Holiday Basket Door Decoration with red plaid bow and winter greenery.

To shop the look see the links below.

Next on the blog hop is Linda of Itsy Bits and Pieces with a fun Christmas and winter wreath collection. Be sure to click through as many links as you wish for tons of inspiration.

Cheers!

Michelle

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Follow The Yellow Brick Home  |  Common Ground  |  Decor To Adore  |  Our Southern Home    County Road 407  |  Let’s Add Sprinkles  |  Botanic Bleu  |  My Thrift Store Addiction   |   The Crowned Goat  |  Virginia Sweet Pea  |  Thistle Key Lane  | Itsy Bits and Pieces  |  Belle Bleu Interiors  |  Art and Sand  |  Calypso In The Country  |  White Arrows Home  |  Celebrate and Decorate  |  Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson  |  Cloches and Lavender  |  Welch House 1900

©2019 Holiday Basket Door Decoration post first appeared on Thistle Key Lane™.

41 thoughts on “Holiday Basket Door Decoration

1. [email protected] says:

Your willow basket is such a handy piece to have to use to create door decor for any season. Your Christmas door arrangement looks wonderful. I would never have guessed that all of the greenery wasn’t fresh. I also love the pop of color from the plaid bow.

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you Paula! It’s amazing how realistic artificial greenery has become the last few years. I prefer the real thing but when it looks this good I don’t mind mixing it in.

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Laura! I’ve been looking for a vintage basket for several years but the price point of this one is hard to beat!

2. CoCo says:

You totally nailed this basket arrangement Michelle – it AMAZING! I love all the greenery you’ve used and the curly branches too. The plaid bow is of course perfection and you know I’m bananas for your horse too. I can’t wait to see more! Hugs, CoCo

3. Cindy Richter says:

We have the same type door and I never know what to do with it because it’s super tall and wreaths look ridiculous on it. Plus the oval throws me off. I love this idea and the lanterns with the wooden addition is precious. You’ve inspired me to FINALLY get out and do our front door. Thanks bunches! Pinned

• Michelle Meyer says:

I know what you mean Cindy. I’m not sure what inspired me to add a hook below the window, but that’s where the wreaths are displayed now. We have a long sidewalk to the street and wreaths are more visible on the solid part of the door. Thanks so much for pinning!

4. artandsand says:

I love the basket and the height you hung it.

I love the look of a basket on a door, but I have never found one that doesn’t overwhelm our narrow red door. I need to keep looking.

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thanks Carol! I’m still looking for a vintage basket, but this one sure seems to hold up to the weather we have here in Texas.

5. Cecilia says:

Michelle, your front entry appears to be about the same size as mine, and I agree the space can be challenging, but you have styled yours to perfection! So lovely and I will be on the lookout for a willow basket! Have a beautiful Christmas season! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

6. Julie Briones says:

You did a lovely job on your Christmas porch decor! Love the basket with the live evergreens branches! You go! Pinned!

7. Amber Ferguson says:

I love the willow basket filled with seasonal greenery! I would love to find one similar to yours. I love how you hung it low. The understates decor makes a big impact. I am am definitely going for less is more this year.

Thank you so much for joining the hop! Merry Christmas!

• Michelle Meyer says:

Thank you so much Judith. All that greenery seems to make everything just a wee bit more special. Happy Christmas!

8. calypsointhecountry says:

That’s it – I’m doing a door basket next year! Love this so much, Michelle! You added the perfect amount of greenery and the bow is so pretty. I love the way the basket looks against your door and the porch accessories coordinate beautifully! So great to hop with you!
    Cheers!
    Shelley

• Michelle Meyer says:

I’m telling you Shelley, this is the easiest door decoration I’ve found. Can’t go wrong with a door basket! 😉